India has not leveraged internet as a means to making the voice of common people heard to the government. An internet based mechanism to voice people’s opinions can be an extremely valuable tool to policy makers in gauging the necessity of a particular proposal provide a mechanism by which innovative ideas from the grassroots can be easily proposed to the government provide accountability of the government to its people.
- Design a website through which people can make their demands and opinions known to the government, as well as the government can make its various projects known to the common people. A few thoughts about this.
- Show any user the most relevant ideas by filtering according to popularity, location, interests etc.
- Ideally, an user can be identified by his/her Aadhar number, which can serve as a gateway against fraudulent overvoting. On the other hand, it should also respect user’s privacy, and not store the exact Aadhar numbers.
- To gauge the priority of a particular issue to an user, there should be a fixed number of “credits” for each user, which can be used by them to vote for ideas. This policy will ensure that only the most pressing issues relevant to each user are voted for.
- Possibility of being accessed by various mediums such as internet/e-mail/sms etc. Multiple access channels will enable a significantly larger fraction of the society to be involved in this effort.
- A common interface by which government officials can provide information about status, funding and deadlines for ongoing projects, which can bring about transparency in governance.
Subhasis Das (subhasis256 [at] gmail [dot] com)